Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Le Dilemme Moral


A year and a half ago, I became vegetarian. I woke up one day feeling sick about what Michael Vick did to his dogs and I couldn't eat animals anymore -- not even fish. This was a challenge in Texas, but I forgot that moving to New Orleans as a veggie not only meant no more gumbo, no jambalaya, no Crawfish Monica, but it meant moving to the "Sportsman's Paradise." So this morning, special needs husband called me from the DMV to inform me that the standard issue license plates actually advertise that Louisiana is a hunting mecca. I think that special needs husband (hereinafter sometimes referred to as "SNH"), who is still a carnivore, enjoyed telling his ethical vegan wife that she would be governmentally-mandated to affix a hunting advertisement to her vehicle. Even Texas, which arguably has a higher volume of sportsmen, offers an "Animal-Friendly" license plate for a nominal surcharge. No such luck here. My first thought was, "I can cover up the "Sportsman's", so the plate just says "Paradise". However, the legal dork in me seems to recall a case involving a Jehova's Witness from New Hampshire who objected to the "Live Free or Die" license plate slogan, covered it up, and was ticketed for obstructing the full view of the plate. The Jehova's Witness filed a 1st amendment lawsuit, citing religious reasons for his objection, and he lost. Option two: there is a Tulane University license plate, for a nominal surcharge. When I suggested to SNH that this might be my best option, he objected on economic grounds. I'm not totally convinced it's the money -- I think he just might enjoy seeing me forced to advertise hunting.

1 comment:

Holly Golightly said...

SNH must be overruled. Call a moratorium on... whatever works.... until you get the license plate that makes you happy.